Black Magic Probe
The Black Magic Probe is a modern, in-application debugging tool for embedded microprocessors. It allows you see what is going on 'inside' an application running on an embedded microprocessor while it executes. It currently supports the STM32, LM3S and LPC11xx families of ARM Cortex-M based microcontrollers. The hardware design and firmware source code are available under open-source licenses.
It is able to control and examine the state of the target microprocessor using a JTAG or Serial Wire debugging port and on-chip debug logic provided by the microprocessor. The probe connects to a host computer using a standard USB interface. The user is able to control exactly what happens using the GNU source level debugging software, GDB.
- Targets ARM Cortex based microcontrollers.
- Connects to the target processor using the JTAG interface. Alternatively, the ARM Serial Wire Debug protocol may be used.
- Provides full debugging functionality, including: watchpoints, flash memory breakpoints, memory and register examination, flash memory programming, etc.
- Supports multiple targets on a single JTAG scan chain.
- Interface to the host computer is a standard USB CDC ACM device (virtual serial port), which does not require special drivers on Linux.
- Implements the GDB extended remote debugging protocol for seamless integration with the GNU debugger and other GNU development tools.
- Implements USB DFU class for easy firmware upgrade as updates become available.
- Works with Windows, Linux and Mac environments.
The Black Magic Probe allows you to:
- Load your application into the target Flash memory or RAM.
- Single step through your program.
- Run your program in real-time and halt on demand.
- Examine and modify CPU registers and memory.
- Obtain a call stack backtrace.
- Set up to 6 hardware assisted breakpoints.
- Set up to 4 hardware assisted read, write or access watchpoints.
- Set unlimited software breakpoints when executing your application from RAM.
Black Magic Probe on Github
Black Magic Probe Wiki
Download Windows Driver (updated 2013-08-19)
SourceForge Project Page
Buy the Black Magic Probe
The Black Magic Probe is available from these distributors: